Blog: Tesco puts online clothing on ice
Joe Ayling | 1 April 2008
Today's news that UK retail behemoth Tesco is, at least temporarily, pulling its clothing ranges from the warehouse shelves took me by surprise.
Tesco maintains its actions do not reflect an unsuccessful launch and is keeping the door well and truly open.
However, a Tesco spokesperson could not tell just-style what the timescale for reintroducing online clothing would be – or indeed if they would be reintroduced at all.
“But it certainly was a successful trial,” she said. The company launched 165 women’s wear lines on its website in November last year, following this with 165 more women’s and men’s spring fashion items in January this year.
The likes of Marks and Spencer, Asda, and even Primark, will be looking over their shoulders to see what the future holds for Tesco Online.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective