Blog: Textile Conservation Centre needs saving
Leonie Barrie | 3 December 2007
What do Henry VIII's football boots, the hood of the Elephant Man and Freddie Mercury's outlandish concert costumes all have in common?
They’re among the conservation projects carried out by the Textile Conservation Centre (TCC), the world’s leading school for textile conservation – which is threatened with closure in 2009 unless an endowment of GBP5m can be found.
The TCC, which is based in Winchester School of Art and has trained half the world’s select group of 800 textile conservators, is to shut because it no longer fits Southampton University's research and funding criteria.
The Centre is the only place in the UK offering postgraduate courses in textile conservation, and if it closes, staff expertise will be lost and its collections dispersed across the world.
It’s not an exaggeration to say that losing the Textile Conservation Centre will leave a gaping hole in the provision of specialist conservation training in the UK and internationally, since so few specialist centres exist.
For anyone who wants to add their signature to the campaign to keep the TCC open, an e-mail petition has been set up on the Downing Street website.
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
The countdown is over: we’ve now opened applications to join the testing program for just-style’s new apparel sourcing planning tool, re:source....
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Update - Bangladesh "business as usual"
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar