Blog: Textile Conservation Centre needs saving
Leonie Barrie | 3 December 2007
What do Henry VIII's football boots, the hood of the Elephant Man and Freddie Mercury's outlandish concert costumes all have in common?
They’re among the conservation projects carried out by the Textile Conservation Centre (TCC), the world’s leading school for textile conservation – which is threatened with closure in 2009 unless an endowment of GBP5m can be found.
The TCC, which is based in Winchester School of Art and has trained half the world’s select group of 800 textile conservators, is to shut because it no longer fits Southampton University's research and funding criteria.
The Centre is the only place in the UK offering postgraduate courses in textile conservation, and if it closes, staff expertise will be lost and its collections dispersed across the world.
It’s not an exaggeration to say that losing the Textile Conservation Centre will leave a gaping hole in the provision of specialist conservation training in the UK and internationally, since so few specialist centres exist.
For anyone who wants to add their signature to the campaign to keep the TCC open, an e-mail petition has been set up on the Downing Street website.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack