Blog: Textile Conservation Centre needs saving
Leonie Barrie | 3 December 2007
What do Henry VIII's football boots, the hood of the Elephant Man and Freddie Mercury's outlandish concert costumes all have in common?
They’re among the conservation projects carried out by the Textile Conservation Centre (TCC), the world’s leading school for textile conservation – which is threatened with closure in 2009 unless an endowment of GBP5m can be found.
The TCC, which is based in Winchester School of Art and has trained half the world’s select group of 800 textile conservators, is to shut because it no longer fits Southampton University's research and funding criteria.
The Centre is the only place in the UK offering postgraduate courses in textile conservation, and if it closes, staff expertise will be lost and its collections dispersed across the world.
It’s not an exaggeration to say that losing the Textile Conservation Centre will leave a gaping hole in the provision of specialist conservation training in the UK and internationally, since so few specialist centres exist.
For anyone who wants to add their signature to the campaign to keep the TCC open, an e-mail petition has been set up on the Downing Street website.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Hong Kong's Winds Group to open Haiti factory
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022