Blog: Textile Institute turns 100
Joe Ayling | 3 November 2010
just-style has been invited to Manchester today (3 November) to mark 100 years of the Textile Institute.
Well, strictly speaking the organisation will be celebrating its centenary all year, but an international conference over the next few days has attracted some key speakers.
This morning's session will be opened by Professor Xiao-ming Tao, head of institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, who will discuss functional textiles, clothing and footwear. Tao's impressive resume promises to bring a modern twist to this landmark event.
Also speaking at the event are Ashroff Omar, CEO of Brandix Lanka, and Andy Rubin, CEO of Pentland Group. With a visit to Sri Lanka's Design Festival scheduled for next week, it will be particularly insightful for just-style to learn more about Omar's experiences leading a major supplier to the Western world.
Indeed, the globalisation of sourcing and lack of domestic manufacturing are indicative of just how much the UK textile industry has changed over the past century.
Check just-style over the next few days for further updates from the The Textile Institute Centenary Conference.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar