Blog: Textile Institute turns 100
Joe Ayling | 3 November 2010
just-style has been invited to Manchester today (3 November) to mark 100 years of the Textile Institute.
Well, strictly speaking the organisation will be celebrating its centenary all year, but an international conference over the next few days has attracted some key speakers.
This morning's session will be opened by Professor Xiao-ming Tao, head of institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, who will discuss functional textiles, clothing and footwear. Tao's impressive resume promises to bring a modern twist to this landmark event.
Also speaking at the event are Ashroff Omar, CEO of Brandix Lanka, and Andy Rubin, CEO of Pentland Group. With a visit to Sri Lanka's Design Festival scheduled for next week, it will be particularly insightful for just-style to learn more about Omar's experiences leading a major supplier to the Western world.
Indeed, the globalisation of sourcing and lack of domestic manufacturing are indicative of just how much the UK textile industry has changed over the past century.
Check just-style over the next few days for further updates from the The Textile Institute Centenary Conference.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective