Blog: Textile Institute turns 100
Joe Ayling | 3 November 2010
just-style has been invited to Manchester today (3 November) to mark 100 years of the Textile Institute.
Well, strictly speaking the organisation will be celebrating its centenary all year, but an international conference over the next few days has attracted some key speakers.
This morning's session will be opened by Professor Xiao-ming Tao, head of institute of Textiles and Clothing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, who will discuss functional textiles, clothing and footwear. Tao's impressive resume promises to bring a modern twist to this landmark event.
Also speaking at the event are Ashroff Omar, CEO of Brandix Lanka, and Andy Rubin, CEO of Pentland Group. With a visit to Sri Lanka's Design Festival scheduled for next week, it will be particularly insightful for just-style to learn more about Omar's experiences leading a major supplier to the Western world.
Indeed, the globalisation of sourcing and lack of domestic manufacturing are indicative of just how much the UK textile industry has changed over the past century.
Check just-style over the next few days for further updates from the The Textile Institute Centenary Conference.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022