Blog: The devil’s in the detail
Leonie Barrie | 17 February 2009
The good news is that US retail sales rose unexpectedly in January. The bad news for clothing retailers (whose January sales were 1.6% higher than in December), though, is that their sales didn’t rise as fast as those of essential items like food and gas (up 2.6% and 2.1% respectively).
Which suggests that while shoppers might have been seduced by post-holiday discounts, they are still focusing on things they need and cutting back on those they don’t. The results are also skewed because December sales were revised down by 0.3%.
And in a comparison with January 2008 – which tallies with the same-store sales results reported by retailers – the results are even less impressive, with clothing sales tumbling 10.3%.
As with all statistics, the devil is most certainly in the detail.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar