Blog: The downside of globalisation
Leonie Barrie | 15 August 2003
Mauritius, whose clothing industry was boosted by export zones, low taxes, relaxed labour laws and beneficial trade agreements, is now being undercut by China and India with their pools of cheap labour. Unemployment in Mauritius is climbing as factories close or downsize, but it is Mauritians who are being laid off – not the foreign Chinese and Indian workers. Apparently, the locals don’t want textile jobs – working conditions are bad and they don’t pay enough – while factory owners say expatriate workers are anyway more skilled and diligent.
Competitive pressures are forcing the Mauritian government to turn to technology services in an attempt to move its workforce beyond the garment factories. But ironically, its first Cybercity will be staffed by ex-pat workers from India.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022