Blog: The most valuable apparel brand in the world is…
Leonie Barrie | 19 May 2016
…Nike, at least according to Forbes. Its annual ranking of the top 100 most valuable companies is not surprisingly dominated by technology brands – led by Apple in the number one slot. But plenty of clothing brands and retailers also made it onto the list.
Athletic and footwear giant Nike, at number 18, is valued at $27.5bn, a rise of 5% over the previous year, and a clear lead over Adidas at 90th position with a valuation of $7bn.
On the fashion front, retailer H&M was ranked at number 33, with its valuation rising 4% from last year to $15.9bn; Zara at 53, rising 13% to $10.7bn; and Uniqlo making up the rear with a valuation of $7bn.
The leading luxury player was Louis Vuitton at number 19, with a valuation of $27.3bn, beating Gucci (44), and Chanel (80). US brand Coach was in 78th position, with its valuation falling 13% to $7.5bn.
Forbes calculates the brand values based on three years of earnings and allocates a percentage of those earnings based on the role brands play in each industry.
Click here to see the full list of brands.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Is China losing its edge as a US apparel supplier?
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report