Blog: The sums add up for Adsa
Leonie Barrie | 1 August 2008
Supermarket group Asda is hoping to win back cash-strapped customers who are shopping at discount grocers like Aldi and Lidl with an offer for what it claims to be the “lowest ever priced school uniform.”
Set to hit the hangers this weekend, the George at Asda outfit costs just GBP4 and is available for children aged from 3 to 12 whatever their age. It consists of a polo shirt for just 50p, and trousers or a skirt and a sweatshirt for GBP1.75 each.
Last year Asda was selling the equivalent uniform for GBP6.25, and three years ago it was GBP10.25.
So how does it do it? George says it’s able to offer these prices by buying fabric by the mile, using a smaller number of manufacturers and planning significant lead times into the production process.
The offer hits back at Marks & Spencer which last week unveiled its lowest price uniform starting at GBP6.50 for children aged up to six years old and rising to GBP13.50 for those aged 12.
Asda’s also trying to stir up a debate on kidswear pricing, which often sees prices go up as sizes get larger. M&S was recently forced to go on the defensive on a similar issue after a Facebook website called on it to axe a GBP2 surcharge on bras above a DD cup.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020