Blog: The unacceptable face of fashion
Leonie Barrie | 25 September 2003
Just how objective a trip like this really is remains to be seen. In my experience, it’s impossible to walk through a sewing factory and get a true insight into what's going on behind the scenes. After all, you’re accompanied by company representatives who toe the corporate line, and are often working to a tight schedule which makes it impossible to deviate from the pre-planned route.
The factories that are only too pleased to open their doors to visitors are those which generally have nothing to hide. What you will never see – unless undercover – are the true conditions in which workers are employed. And the most unscrupulous plants are the ones that would never entertain visitors in the first place.
It’s a dilemma I face next month when I’m due to visit Sri Lanka. No doubt my itinerary will embrace state-of-the-art factories above all else, but I also have to be aware that discrimination and gross exploitation are rife – as they are even in the UK and Europe. But whether anyone will be willing to talk about it is another matter altogether.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack