Blog: Toe capping
Leonie Barrie | 11 July 2006
I was in central London yesterday and couldn’t help noticing that the summer sales are in full swing. But it’s just as well I hadn’t picked up the papers before heading into town since there was one story that caught my eye this-morning and made me realise that for some, sales shopping is a far from pleasurable experience.
And none more so than the poor residents of the Turkish city of Karabuk, about 125 miles north of Ankara. Here, on Friday, a fight broke out at a shoe sale and one customer got shot in the foot by an over-zealous assistant. The shoppers apparently swarmed the store in the hope of getting a $6 footwear bargain, but when the retailer tried to close its doors to the surging crowds, fighting broke out between the shoppers and sales staff. A store employee shot a gun into the air, but the bullet struck a customer's right foot.
Not to be deterred, the store says its sale will continue to the end of the month. But as they say: "if it’s too good to be true, it probably is."
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Throwaway fast fashion model needs re-think
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack