Blog: Toe capping
Leonie Barrie | 11 July 2006
I was in central London yesterday and couldn’t help noticing that the summer sales are in full swing. But it’s just as well I hadn’t picked up the papers before heading into town since there was one story that caught my eye this-morning and made me realise that for some, sales shopping is a far from pleasurable experience.
And none more so than the poor residents of the Turkish city of Karabuk, about 125 miles north of Ankara. Here, on Friday, a fight broke out at a shoe sale and one customer got shot in the foot by an over-zealous assistant. The shoppers apparently swarmed the store in the hope of getting a $6 footwear bargain, but when the retailer tried to close its doors to the surging crowds, fighting broke out between the shoppers and sales staff. A store employee shot a gun into the air, but the bullet struck a customer's right foot.
Not to be deterred, the store says its sale will continue to the end of the month. But as they say: "if it’s too good to be true, it probably is."
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar