Blog: Toe capping
Leonie Barrie | 11 July 2006
I was in central London yesterday and couldn’t help noticing that the summer sales are in full swing. But it’s just as well I hadn’t picked up the papers before heading into town since there was one story that caught my eye this-morning and made me realise that for some, sales shopping is a far from pleasurable experience.
And none more so than the poor residents of the Turkish city of Karabuk, about 125 miles north of Ankara. Here, on Friday, a fight broke out at a shoe sale and one customer got shot in the foot by an over-zealous assistant. The shoppers apparently swarmed the store in the hope of getting a $6 footwear bargain, but when the retailer tried to close its doors to the surging crowds, fighting broke out between the shoppers and sales staff. A store employee shot a gun into the air, but the bullet struck a customer's right foot.
Not to be deterred, the store says its sale will continue to the end of the month. But as they say: "if it’s too good to be true, it probably is."
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Next books first FY profit fall in eight years
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing