Blog: Tom Ford’s final bow
Leonie Barrie | 8 March 2004
Tom Ford last night presented his final collection for the Gucci-owned Yves Saint Laurent, ending a nine-year reign that has seen his stratospheric rise from unknown to the most sought-after man in fashion. Love him or loathe him, there’s no denying his impact on Gucci and YSL and the luxury sector as a whole. PPR’s likely decision to replace Ford with a team of anonymous designers might have been fuelled by the question of which comes first, the designer or the brand, but it could mark the start of a sea change away from star names at the helm. Either way, Ford will be a hard act to follow, and although he hasn’t said much about his plans from here the smart money says he’ll find it hard to stay away from fashion’s frontline.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective