Blog: Too cheap to be chic?
Leonie Barrie | 11 September 2006
As if proof were needed that Wal-Mart is serious about taking its clothing ranges into new and trendier markets, how’s this for size? The world’s largest retailer, and a discount one at that, has opened this season’s New York Fall Fashion Week with a catwalk show on top of the Times Square Studios. No celebrity front row, no supermodels, very little fanfare, and probably no egos.
Last year, UK store Topshop became the first high street retailer to stage a catwalk show alongside the designer names, to an avalanche of publicity. And while there was some talk of a kind of sartorial dumbing-down, there is also recognition (or should that be resignation) that retailers like Topshop – and Wal-Mart with its George ME collection from Mark Eisen, an award-winning designer who also produces cashmere garments under the brand name Karoo – have helped finance designers’ more outlandish lines as well as breaking down barriers of label snobbery.
But is this the shape of fashion to come? Not just for the chosen few but broadcast to anyone who just happened to be passing and – somewhat radically for fashion – showing looks that are available now?
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective