Blog: Too many malls, too few tenants
Leonie Barrie | 18 July 2008
Retailers aren’t the only ones to be hit by the slow economy hurting their sales: as many cancel expansion plans and even shut stores, mall developers have been left struggling to find tenants to fill their schemes.
As this article in the Wall Street Journal notes, one of the decade’s hottest trends – open-air shopping venues – has gone cold.
And it couldn’t have come at a worse time. Last year 37 centres totalling some 12m square feet were built, or roughly 40% of the total lifestyle-centre square footage added this decade. Double the 2007 total is now under construction, and three times as much is in the planning stages.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack