Blog: Top Marks in RSPCA awards
Leonie Barrie | 12 October 2006
M&S has been unveiled as the winner of the fashion category of the RSPCA Good Business Awards 2006 with Topshop receiving recognition for making steps to improve animal welfare. OK, so there were only two entrants in the category – but what matters of course is that they are blazing a bright trail for others in fashion to follow.
Even so, it’s a shame that out of the UK fashion industry as a whole, only two high street stores saw fit to go public on their animal welfare policies and enter the awards. After all, ethical consumerism is now worth a staggering GBP25.8bn a year according to the Ethical Consumerism Report 2005.
M&S enforces a strict no fur policy, and only sources leather produced as a by-product of the meat industry rather than from animals reared solely for their skins. Other initiatives it has embarked upon include a partnership project to improve animal welfare standards for leather production in India; and progress in researching alternatives to the painful practice of merino sheep ‘mulesing’ with the Australian wool industry. Over the past year it has also gone out of its way to publicise its ethical commitments – and this must surely have contributed to its most recent 10.5% rise in non-food sales.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Apparel brands "ignoring" refugee abuse in Turkey
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report