Blog: Trekkies revel at new civil gown
Joe Ayling | 14 May 2008
The introduction of a simplified civil gown for UK court judges has drawn interest from an unexpected audience - Star Trek Fans.
Fashion designer Betty Jackson CBE was design consultant for the new gown, which arises from reforms to court dress announced last July.
Amazingly, dedicated websites like Trek Nation, are likening the gown's design to Captain Picard's outfit in "Next Generation", only without the pockets.
The new civil gown replaces wigs, wing collars and bands for Court of Appeal and High Court judges sitting in open court in civil and family proceedings from October.
Circuit Judges sitting as deputy High Court judges will also wear the new gown, but the remainder of the Circuit Bench have opted to stick with their current gown and tippet (less the wig, wing collar and bands).
Perhaps they're hanging on for the Deep Space Nine and Voyager replicas...
Joe Ayling, news editor.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar