Blog: Trekkies revel at new civil gown
Joe Ayling | 14 May 2008
The introduction of a simplified civil gown for UK court judges has drawn interest from an unexpected audience - Star Trek Fans.
Fashion designer Betty Jackson CBE was design consultant for the new gown, which arises from reforms to court dress announced last July.
Amazingly, dedicated websites like Trek Nation, are likening the gown's design to Captain Picard's outfit in "Next Generation", only without the pockets.
The new civil gown replaces wigs, wing collars and bands for Court of Appeal and High Court judges sitting in open court in civil and family proceedings from October.
Circuit Judges sitting as deputy High Court judges will also wear the new gown, but the remainder of the Circuit Bench have opted to stick with their current gown and tippet (less the wig, wing collar and bands).
Perhaps they're hanging on for the Deep Space Nine and Voyager replicas...
Joe Ayling, news editor.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020