Blog: Trekkies revel at new civil gown
Joe Ayling | 14 May 2008
The introduction of a simplified civil gown for UK court judges has drawn interest from an unexpected audience - Star Trek Fans.
Fashion designer Betty Jackson CBE was design consultant for the new gown, which arises from reforms to court dress announced last July.
Amazingly, dedicated websites like Trek Nation, are likening the gown's design to Captain Picard's outfit in "Next Generation", only without the pockets.
The new civil gown replaces wigs, wing collars and bands for Court of Appeal and High Court judges sitting in open court in civil and family proceedings from October.
Circuit Judges sitting as deputy High Court judges will also wear the new gown, but the remainder of the Circuit Bench have opted to stick with their current gown and tippet (less the wig, wing collar and bands).
Perhaps they're hanging on for the Deep Space Nine and Voyager replicas...
Joe Ayling, news editor.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- Li & Fung eyes speed, innovation & digitalisation
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Hirdaramani to head WFSGI manufacturers committee
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack