Blog: Tsunami tragedy
Leonie Barrie | 5 January 2005
The worst I was expecting to have to write about at the start of 2005 was the impact of the lifting of quotas at the beginning of the year. But this, of course, has been surpassed by events in Asia, where tsunami-ravaged countries are trying to come to terms with the biggest humanitarian disaster on record. No-one who has watched the pictures coming back from Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Thailand and India can fail to be moved by the catalogue of devastation, both human and material, that has unfolded over the past week or so. Indeed, it is likely to cast a sombre shadow over all of us for many months to come.
It is with terrible irony that all of these countries are dependent on clothing exports for a considerable contribution to their export earnings. They have been working hard to combat the impact of quota abolition and their vulnerability to the full blast of competition from cheap rival producers China – and now this.
Luckily, most of the big manufacturing centres have not been hit by the tsunamis, but some factories have closed because staff are trying to cope with the massive disruption to their workers and infrastructure. Our thoughts and sympathies are with everyone who has been caught up in this terrible event.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack