Blog: Tweens ignore red carpet trends
Leonie Barrie | 8 August 2006
While it seems like images of young Hollywood celebrities such as Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan are everywhere, the one place they don’t seem to have much impact at all is in the wardrobes of tween girls. Instead, a recent survey has found that tweens are shopping for items based on the their own sense of style rather than copying the clothes found in a celebrity’s closet
The survey, which was carried out by Tween Brands (the company behind apparel retailers Limited Too and Justice) found that 40% of tween girls aged 7 to 14 set their own fashion style. Only 12% look to celebrities for inspiration. Younger tweens aged 7 and 8 tend to rely more heavily on celebrities (23%) and their mothers (19%) for style tips. Older tweens aged 13 and 14 attribute their fashion sense to models in magazines/catalogues (20%), as well as to their friends (19%).
The survey also found that no matter who influences their sense of style, tweens agree on the importance of finding the right back-to-school outfit. Even though the summer break has just begun, tweens are already planning their autumn wardrobes. Crikey, who’d want to be a tweenager again!
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack