Blog: Tweens ignore red carpet trends
Leonie Barrie | 8 August 2006
While it seems like images of young Hollywood celebrities such as Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan are everywhere, the one place they don’t seem to have much impact at all is in the wardrobes of tween girls. Instead, a recent survey has found that tweens are shopping for items based on the their own sense of style rather than copying the clothes found in a celebrity’s closet
The survey, which was carried out by Tween Brands (the company behind apparel retailers Limited Too and Justice) found that 40% of tween girls aged 7 to 14 set their own fashion style. Only 12% look to celebrities for inspiration. Younger tweens aged 7 and 8 tend to rely more heavily on celebrities (23%) and their mothers (19%) for style tips. Older tweens aged 13 and 14 attribute their fashion sense to models in magazines/catalogues (20%), as well as to their friends (19%).
The survey also found that no matter who influences their sense of style, tweens agree on the importance of finding the right back-to-school outfit. Even though the summer break has just begun, tweens are already planning their autumn wardrobes. Crikey, who’d want to be a tweenager again!
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022