Blog: UK recession imminent?
Leonie Barrie | 7 July 2008
Today (7 July) just-style features a comment piece by guest columnist and automotive industry analyst Rob Golding.
The article has turned a few heads on the Aroq news desk, having been circulated by our sister site just-auto.
Golding's insight into the state of the UK economy draws examples from the last UK recession 18 years ago, and from big companies like clothing chain M&S and car maker Ford who are feeling the pinch.
Whether a recession is looming or not, his personal observations about the cost of living are echoed by most consumers. Indeed, the problems M&S faces in selling premium food is also translated to the high street, where consumers on a shoe string are lured into Primark - making it the UK's second largest clothing retailer.
Read more below...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing