Blog: UK recession imminent?
Leonie Barrie | 7 July 2008
Today (7 July) just-style features a comment piece by guest columnist and automotive industry analyst Rob Golding.
The article has turned a few heads on the Aroq news desk, having been circulated by our sister site just-auto.
Golding's insight into the state of the UK economy draws examples from the last UK recession 18 years ago, and from big companies like clothing chain M&S and car maker Ford who are feeling the pinch.
Whether a recession is looming or not, his personal observations about the cost of living are echoed by most consumers. Indeed, the problems M&S faces in selling premium food is also translated to the high street, where consumers on a shoe string are lured into Primark - making it the UK's second largest clothing retailer.
Read more below...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022