Blog: UK recession imminent?
Leonie Barrie | 7 July 2008
Today (7 July) just-style features a comment piece by guest columnist and automotive industry analyst Rob Golding.
The article has turned a few heads on the Aroq news desk, having been circulated by our sister site just-auto.
Golding's insight into the state of the UK economy draws examples from the last UK recession 18 years ago, and from big companies like clothing chain M&S and car maker Ford who are feeling the pinch.
Whether a recession is looming or not, his personal observations about the cost of living are echoed by most consumers. Indeed, the problems M&S faces in selling premium food is also translated to the high street, where consumers on a shoe string are lured into Primark - making it the UK's second largest clothing retailer.
Read more below...
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020