Blog: UK retail recovers at snails pace
Joe Ayling | 22 July 2010
A very slim increase in June sales might just be as good as it gets for UK retailers, analysts are suggesting.
Sales volumes rose by 1.3% compared to June last year, which at first glance appears quite measly.
Until, that is, you read that leading analysts at BNP Paribas and Barclays are predicting worse to come, with household spending on the decline and a VAT rise lurking...
And then you realise that the rise is not only measly, but also likely to be short-lived.
It is noteworthy that clothing sales have grown ahead of most sectors during the year so far, with shoppers going out for a bargain more than ever.
Perhaps strangest of all though, is the notion that England's dismal performance in last month's FIFA World Cup actually had a positive effect on spending.
Indeed, Richard Lowe, head of retail and wholesale at Barclays Corporate said: "June was a very strong month for retailers as the World Cup and warmer weather encouraged consumers to spend on electricals, garden furniture and clothing."
If there is any truth in this then new Chancellor George Osborne really does have his work cut out in gauging the nation's mood.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack