Blog: UKFT Rise supports next generation of fashion leaders
Petah Marian | 18 June 2012
I had the pleasure of attending the UK Fashion and Textile Association's first UKFT Rise event on Thursday night.
UKFT Rise is a new network for the next generation rising up in the fashion and textile industry. It will be a quarterly event with a selection of inspirational speakers from across the sector.
Asos founder and CEO Nick Robertson was guest speaker, talking about his experiences growing the online fashion retailer as well as the challenges facing the industry.
Describing why the industry body launched the programme, UKFT chairman Peter Lucas said: "We spoke to many people in the industry who said there was a lack of resource for the younger generation. Our peers built their businesses on networking with customers, competitors and suppliers, building strong career-long relationships. This is difficult to do in today's fast paced business world and these relationships are harder to form.
"We think it is so important that the next leaders of this industry can gain knowledge and experience to help them build their careers and their businesses. To do this in a non-intimidating and relaxed atmosphere with fantastic inspirational speakers is something we feel is our duty to fulfil for all young ambitious people in fashion and textiles."
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020