Blog: Unfinished business
Leonie Barrie | 28 June 2004
The AGOA Acceleration Act was pushed through the Senate last week, and already US apparel trade groups are clamouring for lawmakers to turn their attention to other unfinished business and trade initiatives. The US/Central America Free Trade Agreement, the Haitian economic recovery legislation, the FSC-ETI repeal/Jobs Act, the miscellaneous tariff and trade bill, and the Middle East trade preferences program are just some that spring to mind.
Yet already – but not surprisingly – there are rumblings of discontent from the US textile lobby at least. In particular, the proposed FTAs with Bahrain and Morocco are coming under fire, along with CAFTA, because they contain exceptions to the rule of origin “that will harm US yarn and fabric producers.” Surely the answer’s in the title: how much freer does a ‘Free’ Trade Agreement need to get?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack