Blog: Unfinished business
Leonie Barrie | 28 June 2004
The AGOA Acceleration Act was pushed through the Senate last week, and already US apparel trade groups are clamouring for lawmakers to turn their attention to other unfinished business and trade initiatives. The US/Central America Free Trade Agreement, the Haitian economic recovery legislation, the FSC-ETI repeal/Jobs Act, the miscellaneous tariff and trade bill, and the Middle East trade preferences program are just some that spring to mind.
Yet already – but not surprisingly – there are rumblings of discontent from the US textile lobby at least. In particular, the proposed FTAs with Bahrain and Morocco are coming under fire, along with CAFTA, because they contain exceptions to the rule of origin “that will harm US yarn and fabric producers.” Surely the answer’s in the title: how much freer does a ‘Free’ Trade Agreement need to get?
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts