Blog: Unfinished business
Leonie Barrie | 28 June 2004
The AGOA Acceleration Act was pushed through the Senate last week, and already US apparel trade groups are clamouring for lawmakers to turn their attention to other unfinished business and trade initiatives. The US/Central America Free Trade Agreement, the Haitian economic recovery legislation, the FSC-ETI repeal/Jobs Act, the miscellaneous tariff and trade bill, and the Middle East trade preferences program are just some that spring to mind.
Yet already – but not surprisingly – there are rumblings of discontent from the US textile lobby at least. In particular, the proposed FTAs with Bahrain and Morocco are coming under fire, along with CAFTA, because they contain exceptions to the rule of origin “that will harm US yarn and fabric producers.” Surely the answer’s in the title: how much freer does a ‘Free’ Trade Agreement need to get?
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar