Blog: Unhooking the hanger problem
Leonie Barrie | 13 September 2007
Saving a few garment hangers might not seem like a big step towards saving the planet, but the cumulative benefits are significant believes M&S. Its research suggests that the average Briton has 67 coat hangers and that almost a fifth (18%) of these aren’t used. Multiply this by the country’s population, and it equates to around 530m or almost 17,000 tonnes of unwanted coat hangers stashed away in UK homes. The retailer now proposes to reform damaged hangers into new ones, while intact coat hangers will be shipped back to M&S garment manufacturers in Europe to be reused.
Recycling coat hangers instead of binning them might be something we can all do to help reduce our environmental impact, but along with ideas such as switching to energy efficient light bulbs or taking fewer baths I wonder if such a small step will have as big an impact as we’re told. And it’s a shame the coat hanger amnesty is just taking place for two days later this month; hardly time to make a real impact.
Most tellingly, M&S admitted yesterday that if it wasn’t ‘back freighting’ hangers back to its factories, containers would be returning back to their destination empty as they were doing before, with all the unnecessary fuel consumption and carbon emissions this entails. Surely this isn’t good news for its green business credentials.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack