Blog: Value is in style
Leonie Barrie | 25 February 2010
“Regardless of whether the economy is weak or strong, value isn’t going out of style,” The TJX Companies’ CEO Carol Meyrowitz told analysts yesterday.
But her comments, intended to reassure investors that the off-price retailer’s new-found shoppers aren’t going to desert its stores now that the economy seems to be in rebound, will also have struck a chord at the other end of the retail spectrum.
Stephen I Sadove, chairman and CEO of upscale department store retailer Saks Inc, separately told analysts its customers want “service and differentiated products with value” – and that it intends to offer them more designer products at lower prices.
But there’s a big difference between “value” and “value for money” – and it’s the latter that will be key going forward.
Shoppers of the future might be prepared to pay a little bit more for a garment, but they’ll only buy one rather than several of the cheapest versions. And that’s what retailers will have to contend with this year – meaning they’ll have to work a bit harder to secure growth.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report