Blog: Velcro comes unstuck with US Army
Leonie Barrie | 17 June 2010
The US Army has decided to withdraw Velcro from active service in its uniforms after complaints from troops that the pocket flaps on their cargo trousers kept falling open.
The 'hook-and-loop' fastener has been on front-line duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, but proved unpopular with soldiers who say it clogs up with dust and debris, frays, disintegrates with repeated laundering, and struggles to keep full pockets closed. What's more, Velcro's ripping noise betrays the wearer's position to the enemy.
After listening to grumbles from military personnel, the army is issuing new trousers in August - with pockets that button up instead. Not only are buttons silent and easy to replace in the field, but using them will save 96 cents for each uniform, Debi Dawson a US army spokeswoman, told USA Today.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022