Blog: Velcro comes unstuck with US Army
Leonie Barrie | 17 June 2010
The US Army has decided to withdraw Velcro from active service in its uniforms after complaints from troops that the pocket flaps on their cargo trousers kept falling open.
The 'hook-and-loop' fastener has been on front-line duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, but proved unpopular with soldiers who say it clogs up with dust and debris, frays, disintegrates with repeated laundering, and struggles to keep full pockets closed. What's more, Velcro's ripping noise betrays the wearer's position to the enemy.
After listening to grumbles from military personnel, the army is issuing new trousers in August - with pockets that button up instead. Not only are buttons silent and easy to replace in the field, but using them will save 96 cents for each uniform, Debi Dawson a US army spokeswoman, told USA Today.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report