Blog: Vietnam a political chit?
Leonie Barrie | 7 May 2008
US retailers and importers point out that “not a single US apparel producer has asked for the monitoring program” which is checking imports from Vietnam as a precursor to a possible anti-dumping investigation.
Indeed, in its report on the Vietnam import data, the US Department of Commerce noted that in the six months during which nearly 500 tariff lines were reviewed, there was no trade at all from Vietnam in more than 200 of them.
And of the remaining tariff lines, many had rising unit values – which indicates that prices from Vietnam have increased since it joined the World Trade Organization in
January of 2007, and are above those of many other suppliers to the US market.
The fear now is that the final review – the results of which are due to be announced in autumn 2008 – will become embroiled in the Presidential and Congressional campaigns and won’t necessarily vindicate manufacturers in Vietnam.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022