Blog: VSO wants volunteers
Leonie Barrie | 25 September 2007
How do you fancy working at the Mongolian Textile Institute in Ulaanbataar, teaching textile design and production to staff and students? Or perhaps helping out as a fashion designer trainer in Akpap Okoyong, Nigeria?
These are just two of the textile and fashion related jobs being advertised by international development charity VSO, which apparently has a desperate shortage of professionals willing to help out in this field.
Like many, I guess I imagined most VSP volunteers were school-leavers. I couldn’t be more wrong apparently, since the average age of a volunteer is a more worldly-wise 38 and the majority come from skilled, professional backgrounds. Placements range from two weeks to two years – and what could be a more rewarding and life-changing way of using your specialist experience to help communities to develop their skills and local industries to develop new products?
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Walmart snaps up online fashion firm ModCloth
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective