Blog: VSO wants volunteers
Leonie Barrie | 25 September 2007
How do you fancy working at the Mongolian Textile Institute in Ulaanbataar, teaching textile design and production to staff and students? Or perhaps helping out as a fashion designer trainer in Akpap Okoyong, Nigeria?
These are just two of the textile and fashion related jobs being advertised by international development charity VSO, which apparently has a desperate shortage of professionals willing to help out in this field.
Like many, I guess I imagined most VSP volunteers were school-leavers. I couldn’t be more wrong apparently, since the average age of a volunteer is a more worldly-wise 38 and the majority come from skilled, professional backgrounds. Placements range from two weeks to two years – and what could be a more rewarding and life-changing way of using your specialist experience to help communities to develop their skills and local industries to develop new products?
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022