Blog: VSO wants volunteers
Leonie Barrie | 25 September 2007
How do you fancy working at the Mongolian Textile Institute in Ulaanbataar, teaching textile design and production to staff and students? Or perhaps helping out as a fashion designer trainer in Akpap Okoyong, Nigeria?
These are just two of the textile and fashion related jobs being advertised by international development charity VSO, which apparently has a desperate shortage of professionals willing to help out in this field.
Like many, I guess I imagined most VSP volunteers were school-leavers. I couldn’t be more wrong apparently, since the average age of a volunteer is a more worldly-wise 38 and the majority come from skilled, professional backgrounds. Placements range from two weeks to two years – and what could be a more rewarding and life-changing way of using your specialist experience to help communities to develop their skills and local industries to develop new products?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack