Blog: We are what we wear
Katie Smith | 17 June 2011
Dressing well has personal, social and professional benefits according to findings from US retailer Men's Wearhouse "Well-Dressed Men survey".
Overall nearly two-thirds (63%) of Americans admit fashion is something they value. So it's no surprise that 70% of women compared to 55% of men own up to the importance of fashion in their lives.
The study revealed that 68% of Americans consider being well-dressed an important part of life. However, 79% of Americans aged 55 and older go for comfort rather than a sleek style compared to 66% of 25-54 year old participants according to the study conducted by Kelton Research.
Maybe that's why 23% of participants think that shopping for a suit is more intimidating than going on a first date?
Whether its for a wedding, interview or a new job, 94% of men have purchased a suit some times in their lives.
The clothes men wear also have an impact on our professional outlook as three-quarters (75%) of Americans think well-dressed men are more successful in the workplace than guys who are not dressed as well.
However, when it comes to shopping for clothes many see this as a necessity they have to get through, rather than a fun or exciting experience. Not surprisingly, more men than women (56% versus 49%) despise going shopping to fill their wardrobes.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022