Blog: We are what we wear
Katie Smith | 17 June 2011
Dressing well has personal, social and professional benefits according to findings from US retailer Men's Wearhouse "Well-Dressed Men survey".
Overall nearly two-thirds (63%) of Americans admit fashion is something they value. So it's no surprise that 70% of women compared to 55% of men own up to the importance of fashion in their lives.
The study revealed that 68% of Americans consider being well-dressed an important part of life. However, 79% of Americans aged 55 and older go for comfort rather than a sleek style compared to 66% of 25-54 year old participants according to the study conducted by Kelton Research.
Maybe that's why 23% of participants think that shopping for a suit is more intimidating than going on a first date?
Whether its for a wedding, interview or a new job, 94% of men have purchased a suit some times in their lives.
The clothes men wear also have an impact on our professional outlook as three-quarters (75%) of Americans think well-dressed men are more successful in the workplace than guys who are not dressed as well.
However, when it comes to shopping for clothes many see this as a necessity they have to get through, rather than a fun or exciting experience. Not surprisingly, more men than women (56% versus 49%) despise going shopping to fill their wardrobes.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report