Blog: What now for British manufacturing?
Petah Marian | 19 April 2012
With all of the hot air surrounding clothing retailers and brands bringing their manufacturing operations back to the UK, today's announcement that Aquascutum's Corby site will close is just another nail in the sector's coffin.
Some 115 staff have been made redundant as a result of the decision, with immediate effect.
When industry pundits talk about successful stories in British clothing, they talk about things like heritage branding, premium pricing and luxury - all of which were central tenets of Aquascutum's positioning. Yet this doesn't seem to extend to the Corby site, which administrators say is "not viable to continue to trade due to loss-making operations and a lack of funding".
Another complaint by those looking to manufacture in the UK is the difficulty getting good staff, and issues around the ageing workforce. But another 115 experienced workers are today without a job.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack