Blog: When less is more
Leonie Barrie | 21 February 2005
If you could put together a list of the top fashion items of all time, what would it include? Well, perhaps not surprisingly, jeans, the little black dress, combats, trainers and trench coats all made it into the top ten in a poll of 3,500 shoppers at London store Harvey Nichols. Heading the all-time favourites was the mini skirt – a modern wardrobe staple even though it was first invented by designer Andre Coureges, put on the catwalk by Mary Quant and became a symbol of the swinging sixties.
And the ten worst fashion items? Those that have definitely not stood the test of time included shell suits, puff ball skirts, leg warmers, hot pants and tank tops. And showing how one person’s fashion favourite is another’s fashion nightmare flares, ponchos and platform shoes had the dubious honour of being on both lists.
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
The recent bankruptcy of South Korea's Hanjin Shipping, the world's seventh-largest container shipper, at the end of August, has left billions of dollars worth of merchandise in limbo, leaving the fal...
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020