Blog: When less is more
Leonie Barrie | 21 February 2005
If you could put together a list of the top fashion items of all time, what would it include? Well, perhaps not surprisingly, jeans, the little black dress, combats, trainers and trench coats all made it into the top ten in a poll of 3,500 shoppers at London store Harvey Nichols. Heading the all-time favourites was the mini skirt – a modern wardrobe staple even though it was first invented by designer Andre Coureges, put on the catwalk by Mary Quant and became a symbol of the swinging sixties.
And the ten worst fashion items? Those that have definitely not stood the test of time included shell suits, puff ball skirts, leg warmers, hot pants and tank tops. And showing how one person’s fashion favourite is another’s fashion nightmare flares, ponchos and platform shoes had the dubious honour of being on both lists.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Nordstrom, Carter's, Kohl's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022