Blog: Where are the new BRICs?
Joe Ayling | 10 September 2010
Civets, the "small, lithe-bodied, mostly arboreal mammals native to the tropics of Africa and Asia", or so you thought.
As outlined by a comment piece on just-style today (10 September) the CIVETS are also an acronym for a new series of emerging markets.
For the past nine years it had been BRICs that excited expanding fashion brands, with Brazil, Russia, India and China leading the charge in terms of GDP growth and potential for organised retail. They still do, but their 'noisy neighbours' now make up the word CIVETS, and include Colombia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Egypt, Turkey and South Africa.
Investment bank Goldman Sachs dreamed up the acronym BRICs, while HSBC and The Economist Intelligence Unit are tussling for credit when it comes to CIVETS.
The phrase is taking a little time to sink in on the just-style newsdesk. But just like 'BRICs' sparked visions of solidarity and bricks and mortar, there's something quite intriguing about the CIVETS.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar