Blog: Who won the 2015 World Textile Awards?
Leonie Barrie | 12 May 2016
Textured Jersey Lanka has again been recognised at the World Textile Awards sponsored by The Textile Institute, being named ‘Dyer & Finisher of the Year’ for the second year running.
The awards, which are now in their second year, attracted entries from all four corners of the globe.
Textured Jersey, named ‘Firm of the Year’ in 2014, was the only Sri Lankan manufacturer to make the short-list in 2015. Judging criteria covered a number of different aspects such as the company’s market position, technical performance, environmental and sustainability practices, quality control and employee programmes.
The company, which makes knitted fabrics for the intimate apparel and active wear industries, is a joint venture between Hong Kong’s Pacific Textiles and Brandix Lanka. It counts Marks & Spencer, Victoria’s Secret, Tezenis, Intimissmi and Calvin Klein amongst its clients.
Currently one of the largest textile manufacturers in the region, with a satellite plant in India, last year Textured Jersey acquired knit fabric manufacturer Ocean India for US$15m, in a move that makes it the only Sri Lankan-based multinational fabric mill and a leading textile player in South Asia. It also agreed to buy Sri Lankan fabric printer Quenby Lanka Prints for $3.5m.
“This is great recognition and clearly shows what we as a team are capable of achieving,” said Sriyan de Silva Wijeyeratne, CEO of the TJ Group.
“This has been a roller coaster year for us, making our presence felt in the industry not only through the acquisitions we’ve made but also with the great results we’ve shown overall in terms of financial stability and growth. We have made breakthroughs into new and innovative areas of textile production and these are exciting times for the company.”
Individual category winners in the 2015 World Textile Awards are as follows:
- International Textile Firm of the Year: Matin Spinning Mills Ltd, Bangladesh
- Fibre Producer of the Year: Amaike Textile Industry Co, Japan
- Spinner of the Year: Matin Spinning Mills Ltd, Bangladesh
- Weaver of the Year: Milliken European Airbag Products, United Kingdom
- Dyer & Finisher of the Year: Textured Jersey Lanka, Sri Lanka
- Garment Maker of the Year: Dr Lily Wang and Dr Frankie Ng, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Technical Textile Producer of the Year: Loyal Super Fabrics, India
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Bangladesh calls for duty-free access to US
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022