Blog: Why change is an industry constant
Leonie Barrie | 11 August 2009
David Birnbaum raises some interesting questions in his latest analysis of the garment trade. What happens if the recession lasts for another year or even two? he asks. What happens if, as some economists are now predicting, the end of the recession does not bring rising employment? What happens if the recession ends but the consumer does not return to that mass frenzy of T-shirt consumption that we have grown accustomed to?
And what happens if the problem is not the recession but rather a major long-term shift in the market?
The answer, of course, is far from clear-cut. But what is apparent is that those countries and companies who embrace change and see it as an opportunity instead of a threat are the ones most likely to succeed. And the chances are, they’ve already been doing this for decades.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report