Blog: Why change is an industry constant
Leonie Barrie | 11 August 2009
David Birnbaum raises some interesting questions in his latest analysis of the garment trade. What happens if the recession lasts for another year or even two? he asks. What happens if, as some economists are now predicting, the end of the recession does not bring rising employment? What happens if the recession ends but the consumer does not return to that mass frenzy of T-shirt consumption that we have grown accustomed to?
And what happens if the problem is not the recession but rather a major long-term shift in the market?
The answer, of course, is far from clear-cut. But what is apparent is that those countries and companies who embrace change and see it as an opportunity instead of a threat are the ones most likely to succeed. And the chances are, they’ve already been doing this for decades.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- "Buy American, Hire American" to guide Trump trade
- Ten retail trends to watch for in 2017
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Trump signs order to withdraw from TPP
- UK clothing factory workers paid half minimum wage
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022