Blog: Will Adidas realign its strategy?
Leonie Barrie | 27 October 2014
Speculation emerged last week that a group of investors is planning to bid for Adidas Group's Reebok unit, and that a likely sale would enable the German sportswear giant to realign its strategy as a fitness and lifestyle brand.
The group is said to be preparing an offer worth $2.2bn - a long way short of the $3.8bn paid by Adidas for Reebok in 2006. While some believe the deal may appease Adidas investors looking for some quick and easy liquidity, others note there are also signs that Reebok's fortunes may be picking up.
Problems are continuing to escalate for troubled retail giant Tesco, which has reported a 92% drop in first-half profit, a wider than expected accounting error, and the departure of its chairman. But can Tesco now draw a line under its darkest days, and how fast a turnaround, if any, is likely?
In Cambodia, at least eight workers were injured at the Nishiku Enterprise clothing factory after part of the ground floor collapsed. An initial risk inspection suggests structural issues were to blame.
The incident occurred as a new report said transparent reporting of garment factory compliance in Cambodia is continuing to help to improve conditions for workers.
And "a lot of work still remains to be done" to improve worker rights and factory safety in Bangladesh's ready-made garment and knitwear industry, according to the latest stakeholder review into government efforts.
Separately, a World Bank report also notes that more work is needed to reform Bangladesh's apparel industry if the country's exports are to grow.
New figures released in the UK show that productivity - and wages - in the textile, clothing and leather goods sector is lagging that of other manufacturing industries, as it struggles to recover the strong growth seen prior to the economic downturn.
Leading international brands including H&M, Eddie Bauer, The North Face and Marmot have committed to using responsibly sourced and traceable down in their products. The North Face has committed to 100% certified and responsibly sourced down across all lines by 2017, while others say they will introduce it into their products from autumn 2015.
Spanish fashion retailer Mango might have its roots firmly in Europe, but is on a growth trajectory globally. just-style spoke with managing director Enric Casi and Jose Gomez, VP of international business development, about what the future holds and the challenges of operating in today's changing retail environment.
And as innovation becomes something of a buzz-word across the apparel industry, David Birnbaum warns there are lessons to be learned as firms move to set up in-house innovation centres.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar