Blog: Winter chill
Leonie Barrie | 9 November 2007
The outlook is bleak for many US retailers after the weather and economy took their toll on October sales. But is this all setting the stage for a lacklustre holiday season, which often accounts for more than a quarter of annual sales for many retailers?
Market watchers are understandably cautious. The International Council of Shopping Centers said despite a 1.6% rise in October retail sales, it was the worst October in 12 years. And Retail Metrics, a firm that tracks monthly same-store data, said: “There is virtually no momentum coming out of September and October as we head into the thick of the holiday shopping season.”
SpendingPulse, meanwhile, the retail data service of MasterCard Inc unit MasterCard Advisors, calculated that US apparel sales rose 0.2% in October, with a 1.5% rise in women’s apparel helping to offset a 1.2% drop in men’s wear.
So it perhaps says a lot when the only crumbs of comfort for retailers come from the fact that things weren’t even worse.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report