Blog: Winter chill
Leonie Barrie | 9 November 2007
The outlook is bleak for many US retailers after the weather and economy took their toll on October sales. But is this all setting the stage for a lacklustre holiday season, which often accounts for more than a quarter of annual sales for many retailers?
Market watchers are understandably cautious. The International Council of Shopping Centers said despite a 1.6% rise in October retail sales, it was the worst October in 12 years. And Retail Metrics, a firm that tracks monthly same-store data, said: “There is virtually no momentum coming out of September and October as we head into the thick of the holiday shopping season.”
SpendingPulse, meanwhile, the retail data service of MasterCard Inc unit MasterCard Advisors, calculated that US apparel sales rose 0.2% in October, with a 1.5% rise in women’s apparel helping to offset a 1.2% drop in men’s wear.
So it perhaps says a lot when the only crumbs of comfort for retailers come from the fact that things weren’t even worse.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022