Blog: World Retail Congress 09 opens
Joe Ayling | 5 May 2009
Greetings from Barcelona where just-style is attending the World Retail Congress 09 for the next three days.
The Spanish city continues as a host for the annual event and attendees are braced for home truths about the recession, developing markets and sourcing.
Despite the global recession, Barcelona is sure to lure retail delegates each year thanks to attractions including spectacular cathedrals and bustling Ramblas.
Retailers here looking to innovate should look no further than clothing chain 'Desigual, it's not the same,' which is dotted throughout the city's shopping district.
As the name suggests, Desigual's shops offer a different experience to most shops, with booming music and deafeningly loud colours inside.
My journey to Barcelona with Easyjet touched down slightly early yesterday, prompting the pilot to joke: "I don't know how we do it for the money really."
just-style wants to leave its readers with the same feeling this week, so look out for news, comment, blogs and Tweets from this year's World Retail Congress.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
One of the few saving graces of the current financial crisis will be a new and more efficient fashion retail landscape when the recovery ends....
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective