Blog: World Retail Congress 09 opens
Joe Ayling | 5 May 2009
Greetings from Barcelona where just-style is attending the World Retail Congress 09 for the next three days.
The Spanish city continues as a host for the annual event and attendees are braced for home truths about the recession, developing markets and sourcing.
Despite the global recession, Barcelona is sure to lure retail delegates each year thanks to attractions including spectacular cathedrals and bustling Ramblas.
Retailers here looking to innovate should look no further than clothing chain 'Desigual, it's not the same,' which is dotted throughout the city's shopping district.
As the name suggests, Desigual's shops offer a different experience to most shops, with booming music and deafeningly loud colours inside.
My journey to Barcelona with Easyjet touched down slightly early yesterday, prompting the pilot to joke: "I don't know how we do it for the money really."
just-style wants to leave its readers with the same feeling this week, so look out for news, comment, blogs and Tweets from this year's World Retail Congress.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
One of the few saving graces of the current financial crisis will be a new and more efficient fashion retail landscape when the recovery ends....
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022