Blog: World Retail Congress 09 opens
Joe Ayling | 5 May 2009
Greetings from Barcelona where just-style is attending the World Retail Congress 09 for the next three days.
The Spanish city continues as a host for the annual event and attendees are braced for home truths about the recession, developing markets and sourcing.
Despite the global recession, Barcelona is sure to lure retail delegates each year thanks to attractions including spectacular cathedrals and bustling Ramblas.
Retailers here looking to innovate should look no further than clothing chain 'Desigual, it's not the same,' which is dotted throughout the city's shopping district.
As the name suggests, Desigual's shops offer a different experience to most shops, with booming music and deafeningly loud colours inside.
My journey to Barcelona with Easyjet touched down slightly early yesterday, prompting the pilot to joke: "I don't know how we do it for the money really."
just-style wants to leave its readers with the same feeling this week, so look out for news, comment, blogs and Tweets from this year's World Retail Congress.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
One of the few saving graces of the current financial crisis will be a new and more efficient fashion retail landscape when the recovery ends....
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020