Blog: Xtreme sheep
Leonie Barrie | 9 June 2006
Sheep come in all shapes and sizes, but it’s the ugly ones that Australian boffins are looking for. A search has been launched by The South Australian Research and Development Institute to try to track down the country's ugliest merinos – ones born with rough, uneven or extra-curly wool, bald patches, or even very wrinkled skin – to try to identify genes that produce high quality wool.
According to researcher Paul Hynd, a DNA study of these sheep could help make Australian wool more stretchy, less scratchy, shinier and easier to spin. If you’re still not sure what an ugly sheep is, take a look at some of the pictures:
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022