Blog: Young consumers, emerging markets and multichannel - WRC
Petah Marian | 27 September 2011
One day through this year's World Retail Congress and some themes are already emerging - the importance of the young consumer, expanding abroad, and the ever ubiquitous issues faced by companies developing a multichannel offer.
Much of the focus has been on what retailers can do to continue growing (or return to growth) in mature markets - usually through expansion into emerging markets. However, Deloitte consumer business director Ira Kalish poured cold water on ideas that a shift into China would solve all of these problems. He said that a slowdown in growth is currently underway in the country, and that too much of China's growth is coming from infrastructure investments.
Kalish's outlook for Europe was particularly grim, saying that in the short term, growth scenarios appear relatively "non-existent", and that he foresees recession. But the question remains on how big it will be.
According to the Deloitte director, India could represent the best hope for many retailers in the next decade, with strong economic growth and consumer spending, particularly if the country relaxes its foreign direct investment laws. "I'm cautiously optimistic about India. It has tightened monetary policy and it has good demographics, so it's possible India could grow more than China in the next decade."
Continuing along the emerging markets theme, Li & Fung US president Rick Darling also made some interesting comments about apparel cost inflation and how China is driving up prices.
It's been a jam-packed schedule, and there's still lots more to come from the conference, so keep checking back in the coming days.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack