Looking at data from the US Apparel and Textiles Office (OTEXA) on a year-on-year basis to May, import volume growth was seen from nine of the ten apparel suppliers to the US.
US May apparel imports — number crunch
- Cambodia saw apparel shipment volumes rise 127 MM2 from 76 MM2 a year earlier.
- Indonesia saw the second-highest growth in shipment volumes of the top ten at 46.1% to 134MM2.
- This was followed by India at 29.1% to 164 MM2.
- Bangladesh booked import volume growth of 21.1% to 281 MM2.
- China, the largest apparel supplier to the US saw volumes grow 20.1% to 846 MM2.
- Pakistan, which continues to scale its clothing exports to the US, booked import volume growth of 19.47% to 101 MM2
- Vietnam, the second-largest apparel supplier to the US, saw shipment volumes grow 18.86% to 455 MM2.
- The bottom three places of the top ten largest apparel suppliers to the US were dominated by Central American makers. Honduras booked volume growth of 8.3% to 85 MM2, followed by Mexico at 1.4% to 72 MM2, while El Salvador saw imports slide 0.07% to 55 MM2.