Japanese trading house Marubeni Corp announced on Tuesday that it is to set up a joint company with sportswear seller Goldwin Inc to design and market children's wear.

The new Tokyo-based venture will be called Pacific Clothing Inc and will sell US brands such as Oshkosh and Go Barefoot as well as expanding into other lines.

70 per cent of the 100 million yen capitalisation will be put up by Marubeni and the remaining 30 per cent by Goldwin. Wholesale sales at Pacific Clothing in fiscal 2003 are estimated at 2.3 billion yen.