Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
Despite expectations for a rise in imports as retailers gear up for the holiday shopping season, the volume of US apparel imports continued to slide in October. All but two of the top ten supplier countries posted declines, with Bangladesh booking the largest drop as its imports fell by nearly one-quarter on last year. China and Vietnam were the only countries to see a rise in shipments.>
India's domestic clothing industry has suffered a drastic slump in demand and production following the central government's sudden decision last month to withdraw high denomination currency notes accounting for around 86% of the total cash in the economy.>
US president-elect Trump's stated policies on international trade worry a lot of people. But the explanations given by his new business-friendly team worry Mike Flanagan a lot more. Here he explains why Trumponomics is not only bad for US apparel – but a blow for Brexiteers too.>
A group of ethical fashion producers and retailers, including German e-commerce giant Otto Group and shoemaking enterprise Soul of Africa, has called on the UK government to maintain duty-free access for imports from sub-Saharan Africa when negotiating new trade agreements with the region following the UK's eventual departure from the European Union. >
The annual Integral Conversation conference organised by Hong Kong-based textile and apparel giant Esquel Group this year heard how brands such as Patagonia are making sustainability more than a slogan.>
While there is no single, simple solution to help garment brands and retailers progress from paying minimum wages to living wages to workers in their supply chains, feedback from those companies who have already made the move is a good place to start.>
Current hot issue
Specialised finance products for the garment industry, solutions for keeping track of inventory, and software systems to guide planning and operations are all covered in our special reports on how to free up capital in the apparel supply chain.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the countdown to the biggest launch in our 16-year history.
Monthly figures from the Department of Commerce's Office of Textiles and Apparel (OTEXA) highlight the rise and fall of global apparel imports into the US.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- Currency and trade top post-Brexit apparel concerns – just-style survey
- Child labour persists in Bangladesh garment sector
- Adidas ranks top on tackling supply chain forced labour
- US Q3 in brief – Destination Maternity, Cherokee, Sears, Vince Holding
- US group urges policy on fees charged for port disruptions
- The Limited notifies staff of layoffs amid HQ shut down?
- China's CTIC makes safer chemicals commitment
- Gymboree adjusts guidance on widening Q1 loss
- Björn Borg acquires Benelux distributor Baseline
- Bangladesh's Viyellatex boosts eco-friendly vision
- First ten chemicals listed for US investigation
- Top stories this week on just-style...
- World cotton price prospects lifted again
- VF Corp promotes O'Meara to lead international unit
- American Apparel closing nine US stores
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Trump blows the case for Brexit out of the water
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Duty-free trade key to build Africa supply chains
- US Q3 in brief – Destination Maternity, Cherokee
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Outdoor apparel sector set for double-digit growth
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"