Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
The revelation late last week that US department store retailer Target Corporation has pulled all luxury bed linen produced by Welspun Global Brands over concerns about the provenance of the cotton used in its products highlights the massive challenges the industry still faces when it comes to transparency and traceability across global supply chains.>
After working for the past seven years on a set of tools to measure the social and environmental impact of apparel and footwear production, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition has shared little evidence to suggest how, or even if, companies are using it. But the group is now ready to tackle transparency head-on with the roll-out of a raft of new activities and products, Jason Kibbey, CEO of the global alliance, tells just-style.>
From the new sourcing landscape, to increasing interest in ‘Made in USA’ apparel, and updates on sourcing destinations and sustainability, Dr Sheng Lu, assistant professor at the Department of Fashion and Apparel Studies at the University of Delaware, presents his first thoughts from last week’s Sourcing at MAGIC trade show.>
Mike Flanagan spent the first six months of 2016 campaigning to stay in the EU. Not once, he writes, did I hear my opponents – or anyone in Britain's new, Brexit-friendly government – say they wanted to reject global integration or repudiate over 30 years of globalisation.>
With the second-biggest shopping season of the year now underway, analysts are cautiously optimistic that back-to-school sales will provide a much-needed lift for US clothing retailers thanks to several key trends and well-controlled inventory levels.>
3D-printing has already transformed the manufacturing process in many industries, but an assessment of the technology by analysts at Bernstein Research seems to suggest much more progress still needs to be made before it has the potential to impact apparel.>
Current hot issue
With the second-biggest shopping season of the year now underway, analysts are cautiously optimistic that back-to-school sales will provide a much-needed lift for US clothing retailers thanks to several key trends and well-controlled inventory levels.
Mike Flanagan, CEO at industry consultancy Clothesource, spent the first six months of 2016 campaigning to stay in the EU. Not once, he says, did he hear his opponents - or anyone in Britain's new, Brexit-friendly government - say they wanted to reject global integration or repudiate over 30 years of globalisation.
Monthly figures from the Department of Commerce's Office of Textiles and Apparel (OTEXA) highlight the rise and fall of global apparel imports into the US.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- C&A helps grow organic cotton production in China
- What does supply chain mapping really mean?
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- Galeries Lafayette launches 100% traceable clothing line
- Cambodia’s focus on garment production also a risk
- Size and fit conference back by popular demand
- USTR to reconsider GSP decision on travel goods
- New forum to support brands manufacturing in the UK
- Sears Holdings secures $300m loan amid Q2 loss
- Top stories this week on just-style...
- US Q2 in brief - Sears, Burlington Stores, Destination XL, Tilly's, Express
- Lenzing strategy boosts "significantly improved" H1
- RetailNext expands Asian footprint with EDBI investment
- Counterfeit items worth GBP0.5m seized in UK
- UK retail sales beat expectations in August
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- EU relaxes origin rules on Jordan clothing exports
- US Q2 in brief - Sears, Burlington, Tilly's
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras