Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
Central America must do more to make better use of the flexibilities of the Dominican Republic-Central America Free Trade Agreement (DR-CAFTA) with the United States, and move to leverage the so-called staging categories of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) to boost its competitiveness, according to experts.>
Swedish fashion retailer H&M is one of the leaders of the move to change compliance, and is at the forefront of sustainability. However, at the same time H&M appears to show no interest in the safety of workers making its products, write Emma Birnbaum and David Birnbaum. What is the difference between compliance and worker safety? they ask.>
The new boss at British high street giant Marks & Spencer has set out his plans to turn around the retailer's key clothing division by lowering prices and improving style, fit and quality – after the troubled unit saw like-for-like sales slump 2.9% over the past year.>
With the value of the UK clothing market set to soar over the next five years, and consumers taking more of an interest in the origin and quality of the garments they buy, new opportunities are opening up for retailers to play up to the strengths of sourcing closer to consumers. >
Footwear is expected to be one of the clear winners when it comes to the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement, with significant gains seen in both US imports and exports. >
While Vietnam is likely to see some of the biggest apparel export gains from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a new report confirms industry concerns that its shortfall in yarn and fabric production, ability to meet yarn-forward rules of origin, capacity constraints and related price effects could all weigh on its potential.>
Current hot issue
A long-awaited report on the likely impact of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) has confirmed the agreement is likely to lead to a rise in US apparel imports – and that Vietnam would be the biggest beneficiary.
…Nike, at least according to Forbes. Its annual ranking of the top 100 most valuable companies is not surprisingly dominated by technology brands – led by Apple in the number one slot. But plenty of clothing brands and retailers also made it onto the list.
Monthly figures from the Department of Commerce's Office of Textiles and Apparel (OTEXA) highlight the rise and fall of global apparel imports into the US.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- Adidas offloads non-core Mitchell & Ness business
- Warm weather continues to weigh on Deckers Brands
- Gildan completes US$110m Alstyle Apparel deal
- New portal planned to speed chemicals assessment
- Nike management changes to drive innovation
- Abercrombie & Fitch names new brand presidents
- US textile firms may face ammonium sulphate duty hike
- Deckers Brands president to take over as CEO
- Visual 2000 launches new payment gateway integrations
- BHS supplier Courtaulds Brands in administration
- US Q1 in brief - Sears, Abercrombie & Fitch, Chico's, PVH Corp, J Crew
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain – update
- "Landmark" US chemical safety bill moves forward
- Bangladesh tightens focus on migrant labour rights
- Aquascutum COO to step down after three years
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- Footwear to see "significant" gains from TPP
- Is China really going through a slump?
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- US Q1 in brief - Sears, Abercrombie & Fitch
- M&S to see "departure" of sourcing chiefs?
- Gap to close 75 stores amid "disastrous" Q1
- Adidas Speedfactory eyes large-scale production