Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
A review of the work carried out so far by the Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety says the group has made "significant and laudable progress" over the past 12 months - but pulls no punches when it comes to the many challenges that still lie ahead.>
The Indian government's promised reform of the country's labour laws has moved a step closer with the publication of a list of interim plans.>
Ahead of Scotland's crucial referendum vote taking place tomorrow (18 September), retailers have weighed into the debate about the long-term implications if the country decides to go independent, and the impact it will have on their businesses. Katie Smith takes a closer look.>
UK retailer JD Sports Fashion this morning (17 September) revealed a “record” set of first-half results that beat market expectations. But while the group saw momentum pick up at its Outdoor arm, and strong progress at its UK and European sports fascias, the retailer continues to experience difficulties at its fashion unit. Overall, analysts offered a positive view of the trading update.>
Home shopping group N Brown this morning (16 September) reported a "mellow" first-half performance, with sales slipping as it continues with a number of strategic changes. While some analysts described the results as "disappointing", others remained upbeat about the retailer's future growth, forecasting a "healthier" second-half.>
After booking a "stellar" first-half performance, UK fashion giant Next Plc has detailed the progress it has made in upgrading the quality and design of its product ranges, new and improved sources of supply and the introduction of premium priced merchandise.>
Current hot issue
Ahead of Scotland's crucial referendum vote, retailers have weighed into the debate about the long-term implications if the nation decides to become an independent country, and the impact it will have on their businesses. Katie Smith takes a closer look.
The explosive growth of the Bangladeshi ready-made garment industry is more likely to be accompanied by accusations of sweatshop exploitation from labour rights activists than praise for the positive opportunities it brings the sector's largely-women workforce.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- US: Apparel ranks as third-largest re-shored sector
- BANGLADESH: Alliance partners with NFPA on fire safety pact
- US: L Brands reaps results of strategic investments
- CHINA: Dye-maker to be shut down for desert pollution
- US: ITC proceeds with denim patent investigation
- US: DNA test results in $1m worth of textile seizures
- FRANCE: Lectra appoints Ingelaere North Europe head
- UK: Pittards optimistic despite H1 declines
- UK: Business groups express relief as Scotland votes No
- ITALY: Prada H1 profit falls on Europe weakness
- Top stories this week on just-style...
- US: USTR names Holleyman deputy trade representative
- UK: French Connection buying director takes Michael Kors role
- US: Puvvada to head VF jeans wear innovation centre
- INDIA: Ministry approves plan for 13 textile parks
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- H&M to work with ILO on sustainable supply chains
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Clothing Manufacturers (Global) - Industry Report