Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
Apparel giant Gap Inc has said it is impressed with how much progress it has made on its supply chain fabric platforming as it shifts its relationships from vendor-based to mill-based.>
If Cambodia's US$5.5bn garment industry is not at a crossroads, it is approaching one, according to participants at an industry trade show held in Phnom Penh over the weekend.>
Since Greenpeace published its Dirty Laundry report in 2011, revealing toxic chemicals in waste water discharges from two textile processing facilities in China, the environmental pressure group has been calling on apparel firms to remove these from their supply chains. While a number of companies have signed up to the group's Detox campaign, it appears there is still much more work to be done. just-style takes a look at the challenges of committing and the need for industry collaboration.>
In 2011, Greenpeace published its Dirty Laundry report, which found toxic chemicals in waste water discharges from two textile processing facilities in China supplying global apparel firms. Since then, the environmental pressure group has been calling on clothing brands to remove hazardous chemicals from their supply chains and products by 2020 as part of its Detox challenge.>
There's no doubt the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement has the potential to be a game-changer for both the US textile and apparel industries. For the US textile sector in particular, the inclusion of Vietnam in the pact is seen as a major threat - but new research suggests there may be more to fear from Japan.>
JC Penney has emphasised its commitment to moving back to a merchandising model marked by narrow and deep assortments, as it looks to build on the momentum created to date from its turnaround strategy.>
Current hot issue
Since Greenpeace published its Dirty Laundry report in 2011, revealing toxic chemicals in waste water discharges from two textile processing facilities in China, the environmental pressure group has been calling on apparel firms to remove these from their supply chains.
Retail shares have been among the biggest fallers in the last two weeks as financial markets react to President Vladimir Putin's retaliation to the imposition of sanctions on Russia.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- CAMBODIA: Garment industry hit with fresh strike action
- CHINA: Minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- US: Gap ups guidance and reveals India store plans
- US: Struggles continue for Aeropostale as Q2 profit drops
- US: Promo environment hits Ann Inc in Q2
- US: Foot Locker achieves "record" Q2 results
- US: Sears Holdings posts "unacceptable" Q2 loss
- Top stories this week on just-style...
- US: Perry Ellis to continue to exit low-growth brands
- US: Dollar General committed to Family Dollar deal
- US: Ross Stores Q2 EPS in line with consensus
- US: Garmatex develops advanced cooling fabric
- HONG KONG: Li & Fung reports "solid" H1 but warns on US
- US: Operating costs driving retailers "into the red"
- UK: Clothing drives July retail sales gain
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Who has signed up to the Greenpeace Detox Campaign
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Hong Kong's Li & Fung reports "solid" H1
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey