Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
As safety improvements at Bangladesh garment factories move from inspections to remediation, stakeholders warn the hard work is just beginning. Access to low-cost finance is one of the main challenges facing firms going forward, but so too is a shift in mindset - with a greater focus on worker training seen as key to creating lasting change.>
Blocked fire exits and a lack of proper equipment and training highlight a “persistently high” level of non-compliance with fire safety standards in Vietnam garment factories, says a new report.>
Twenty years ago major garment importers and retailers began to move away from independent agents to set up wholly-owned buying offices where every middleman performed the same work. Fast forward to 2014, and the range of services has soared in both number and complexity. The challenge, now, is to quantify the level of performance - and commission, writes David Birnbaum.>
2014 was a tumultuous year for many garment-making countries. While some were burdened by ongoing industrial unrest and allegations of poverty wages and labour violations, others saw exports increase in a critically competitive environment.>
Wearable technology, 3D printing, and new frontier fabrics: 2014 was the year where science wove itself onto threads as never before.>
International expansion, strong online performance and ethical commitments helped lift some retailers during 2014, but merchandise misses, the closure of underperforming stores, and a profit overstatement weighed on others.>
Current hot issue
The Bangladesh ready-made garment industry has set out an ambitious goal to double its exports to $50bn over the next seven years as it works to rebuild its reputation in the wake of recent tragedies.
Ethiopia may have more trump cards to play than any other sub-Sahara African country when it comes to developing a competitive cotton, textile and garment supply chain, but it still has a rough road ahead. Indeed, Ethiopia's growth as a garment exporter will be slower and more difficult than the government and local textile organisations predict.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- Tesco teams with union on UK garment supply chain
- Nike shares slide on future orders in Q2
- US environment agency adds apparel dyes to ruling
- UK retail sales see strongest growth in 26 years
- Philippines added to European Union GSP+ scheme
- Basketball shoes fare well this holiday season
- Finish Line cuts outlook despite Q3 profit growth
- Top stories this week on just-style...
- Global news roundup
- US port talks stagnate as parties "remain far apart"
- RNB Retail and Brands triples Q1 profit
- Stockmann review sees cuts at Seppälä
- Sanuk footwear founder Kelley to step down
- UK consumer confidence falls to nine-month low
- World Bank urged to probe links with Uzbek cotton
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Bangladesh: Raising the bar on apparel exports?
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Bangladesh knitting worker killed by faulty lift
- Bangladesh factory improvements “will take years”
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Tommy Hilfiger launches solar-powered jacket