Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
There's hardly an apparel industry commentator on the planet who's not forever going on about rising cost prices, writes Mike Flanagan. But he also wonders how often any of them look at what buyers are paying.>
One of the world's largest intimate apparel exporters, Bogart Lingerie, is set to open its third plant in Myanmar in June – three years after becoming the first international lingerie manufacturer to set up in the country it describes as "the ultimate frontier".>
In 2011, Greenpeace published its Dirty Laundry report, which found toxic chemicals in waste water discharges from two textile processing facilities in China supplying global apparel firms. Since then, the environmental pressure group has been calling on clothing brands to remove hazardous chemicals from their supply chains and products by 2020 as part of its Detox challenge.>
Recently released details of the European Union's trade agreement with Vietnam show how the deal could boost garment sourcing by EU brands in this key emerging south-east Asian player.>
Apparel imports into the US wound down in December as the holiday season came to an end, yet all but two of the leading supplier countries booked growth during the month. Bangladesh and Vietnam both led with double-digit gains, while China continued to rebound from its decline in October.>
Hurt by adverse weather conditions, a continued shift by consumers to invest in high-value items such as cars, and a general slump after the holiday period, it's no surprise US apparel retailers suffered in January, with many reporting comparable store sales declines.>
Current hot issue
Recently released details of the European Union's trade agreement with Vietnam show how the deal could boost garment sourcing by EU brands in this key emerging south-east Asian player.
Just days after international representatives expressed concerns that many "priority areas" still need to be tackled to improve safety in Bangladesh’s ready-made garment sector, a fire broke out at a factory deemed to be on track with remedial action.
Monthly figures from the Department of Commerce's Office of Textiles and Apparel (OTEXA) highlight the rise and fall of global apparel imports into the US.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- Cambodia garment exports reached $5.7bn in 2015
- US Q4 in brief: Levi Strauss, Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands, Skechers
- Hunkemöller acquisition given go-ahead
- Feetz mobile app for custom-fit 3D printed shoes
- Top stories this week on just-style...
- Footwear veteran returns to Clarks as Americas president
- SDC Enterprises acquires Sam Weller & Sons
- Italy’s largest fashion supply chain joins Detox pledge
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- US apparel execs see China sourcing lead narrowing
- Clarks to cut 170 jobs in global restructure
- US cotton industry to face another "challenging" year
- Adidas lifts outlook after beating 2015 targets
- US retail sales set to grow 3.1% this year
- Stores becoming "pivotal" for purchase returns
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020