Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
A number of retailers have responded to allegations of "forced labour" amongst female textile workers in mills in southern India, with H&M blacklisting one of the five named.>
In 2011, Greenpeace published its Dirty Laundry report, which found toxic chemicals in waste water discharges from two textile processing facilities in China supplying global apparel firms. Since then, the environmental pressure group has been calling on clothing brands to remove hazardous chemicals from their supply chains and products by 2020 as part of its Detox challenge.>
More than 180 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people last year.>
Wearable technology, synced mobile devices, the growing on-demand culture of the digital world, and an increasing awareness of corporate misbehaviour are all trends expected to come to the fore next year, a new report suggests.>
Unseasonably warm weather in October has weighed on sales of autumn merchandise at UK fashion retailer Next Plc. The group missed its third-quarter expectations and this morning (29 October) saw its share price fall 1.63% on the trading update. Analysts have offered mixed views on the results.>
Moisture management fabric technology has entered a new era as manufacturers and retailers respond to growing demand by consumers for ever greater levels of performance from their garments.>
Current hot issue
Troubled UK retail behemoth Tesco has posted a 92% decline in first-half profits, weighed down by its higher-than-expected accounting error. While many analysts believe Tesco can now draw a line under its darkest days, views are mixed on how fast a turnaround, if any, is likely for the business.
Another fast fashion brand could be added to the already packed ?? with suggestions Ikea's next move might be into apparel.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- Fruit of the Loom forms yarn partnership with Parkdale
- Wearable technology future ripe for millennials
- Columbia Sportswear ups FY profit guidance
- SuperGroup cuts profit outlook on warmer weather
- Twin acquisitions boost Hanesbrands Q3
- UK Primark supplier goes into administration
- Tanzania garment sector seeks investment
- Steve Madden Q3 hurt by "lack of trends"
- Fjällräven makes promise on down sustainability
- US hails Bangladesh factory progress
- Turkey launches anti-dumping probe against US cotton
- Stockmann to cut jobs as it reveals Q2 loss
- UK clothing spend set to grow 3.5% this Christmas
- Raymond shares tumble on Q2 profit decline
- Jockey signs Dream Lounge licensing deal
- Wearable technology a key trend for 2015
- Retailers react to India forced labour allegations
- Moisture management fabrics enter a new era
- Mexico urges fast-fashion brands to source locally
- COMMENT: Innovation is the name of the game
- Hazardous chemicals found in children's products
- VF rolls out plan to eliminate harmful chemicals
- October "a scary month" for US apparel retailers
- Raising the minimum wage may reduce employment
- UK Primark supplier goes into administration