Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
Over one year on from the Rana Plaza disaster in Bangladesh and the Accord on Fire and Building Safety is calling on retailers and clothing brands to contribute more to the fund in order to complete its factory inspections.>
A raft of fashion industry experts gathered in London this week to discuss integrating sustainability into businesses through 3D (social, environmental, commercial) initiatives. Views were shared on the challenges faced by manufacturers and brands, and the opportunities driving change within the industry. Here are a selection of quotes from the annual Source Summit, organised by the Ethical Fashion Forum.>
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people last year.>
Sporting goods Nike is raising its prices at a time when other companies are turning to increased markdowns and heavy promotional activity to drive traffic. And analysts say the strategy is single-handedly driving growth in the US sneaker market, as well as helping the company to carve out a new competitive advantage.>
Hanesbrands has praised the efficiency of its supply chain, describing it as "a clear contributor" to earnings, helping the underwear maker outperform in its second-quarter.>
The group of North American brands and retailers - including Wal-Mart Stores, Gap Inc and VF Corporation - working to improve safety in Bangladesh's ready-made garment factories appears to be sourcing more products from the country as efforts to upgrade the industry take hold. But one year on, progress is "far from over", with the total cost likely to be in the region of $150m and take 12-18 another months to complete.>
Current hot issue
This month, the Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety, and the Accord on Fire and Building Safety both issued their first annual reports, providing an update on the work carried out on improving safety and working conditions in the country to date. just-style took a closer look.
Indian apparel exporters are seeking a series of favourable policy decisions from the new Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government, including export subsidies to offset import duties imposed by the EU while talks continue towards an EU-India free trade agreement.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- US: Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- SOUTH AFRICA: 3,000 cotton sector workers begin strike
- US: Kellwood acquires contemporary group Parker
- Top stories this week on just-style...
- UK: Tesco's Dawson to take M&S IT head role
- GERMANY: Clothing sector skeptical on Govt labelling plans
- US: Deckers back on trajectory for earnings growth
- US: AAFA urges Senate to modify Bangladesh provisions
- FRANCE: LVMH H1 fashion and leather profit flat
- US: Columbia Sportswear narrows Q2 net loss
- US: Carter's Q2 exceeds company expectations
- just-style's research roundup
- US: PTC to expand IoT technology with Axeda buy
- UK: Warm weather boosts June clothing retail sales
- US: Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Accord still struggling to engage industry bodies
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change