Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
China, the world's top cotton consumer, has announced a significant reduction to its low duty 2015 cotton import quota to boost demand for domestically-produced fibre. But experts disagree on whether the policy could pose risks for textile and clothing manufacturers.>
A positive change in retail sales is expected over the next 12 months, with growth in North America, the Middle East, China and Africa offsetting a slowdown in some global regions, according to findings from research revealed at the World Retail Congress by Monash University. Most notably, Western Europe is seen as offering the worst prospects for retail growth.>
The great and the good of the retail industry have converged on Paris for three days for the annual World Retail Congress. New technologies, the rise of omni-channel, innovation and new business models are all on the agenda, and the 'disruptive consumer' is a key talking point.>
Not content with dominating the global exporting landscape, China is now switching its focus to growth in domestic consumption. And according to Li & Fung chairman William Fung, this is likely to lead to “a rather bumpy ride” for the apparel industry.>
It's no wonder sporting goods giant Nike is feeling bullish about its long-term growth opportunities, after booking what has been described as a "flawless" performance in the first quarter. And what's more, the company is looking to raise the bar even higher in the future.>
After reporting its return to a full-year profit earlier this week, Hong Kong-listed casual fashion brand Esprit Holdings has outlined the next stage in its 'transformation strategy', aimed at helping the company become faster and more efficient in its business processes.>
Current hot issue
UK retail behemoth Tesco this week revealed a GBP250m (U$408.1m) profit overstatement in its first-half accounts. A day later and Tesco announced the early arrival of new CFO Alan Stewart. The news is sure to alarm investors and means the retailer still has a long way to go to recovery.
The annual World Retail Congress has returned to Paris this week for three days where the great and the good of the retail industry have converged to discuss the industry climate as we move out of a tough economic climate. New technologies, the rise of omni-channel, innovation and the supply chain of the future will all be discussed.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- Ayka Addis expects to ride growth in Ethiopia outsourcing
- Next's share price falls on lower Q3 sales growth
- WRC 2014: Bricks still lead clicks in generating retail revenues
- Men's Wearhouse names Thorne EVP of sourcing
- Hibbett Sports promotes Briskin to chief merchant
- UK consumer confidence drops in September
- Addressing anaemia key to Cambodia worker productivity
- Columbia TurboDown adds to insulation innovations
- Textile value chain making Africa more competitive
- Chinese firm to invest $500m in Ethiopia textile plant
- Protestors plea for end to forced labour in Uzbek cotton
- American Apparel taps turnaround specialist as interim CEO
- Interstoff Asia axed as organiser focuses on China
- Finish Line Q2 profit down despite sales growth
- Pumpkin Patch optimistic despite FY profit fall
- INTERVIEW: Crystal CEO rises to the challenges
- Pacific Crystal Textiles gears up for production
- Li & Fung: China consumption to bring major change
- Growth in smart garments and wearable technology
- Innovation and e-commerce key to Nike's growth
- Adidas taps Nike designers for new creative studio
- China apparel interns in forced labour conditions
- Addressing anaemia key to Cambodia productivity
- Chinese firm to invest in Ethiopian textile plant
- Activists slam dismissals at Sri Lanka shoe firm