Latest textile & apparel news, analysis and insights
Comprehensive coverage of the textile and apparel industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-style's leading network of international journalists.
Major remedial plans established in the wake of the Rana Plaza disaster are “failing to address” the greatest risks posed by the systemic weaknesses of the Bangladeshi RMG sector, says a new report.>
The Rana Plaza factory disaster has proved to be a catalyst for change in Bangladesh. While there has been criticism of the speed of the factory inspection process and efforts to improve worker safety, a timeline of major milestones shows that progress is being made.>
One year today, one of the worst industrial disasters in history occured when the Rana Plaza garment factory in Bangladesh collapsed, killing nearly 1,200 workers. just-style has followed developments closely over the last 12 months, and here we take a look back at the thoughts of those in the industry.>
More than 160 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people one year ago.>
Without knowing the precise history of the products it sells and then being able to verify the claims it makes, Tim Wilson, CEO of Historic Futures, believes the apparel industry will never be able to make a real difference to issues ranging from sustainability to illegal subcontracting. He is now taking the company's String platform back to the drawing board to tackle the issue of total traceability across the clothing supply chain.>
The impact of recent changes to Chinese government policies on both the production and sale of raw cotton are continuing to cause uncertainty.>
Current hot issue
The apparel industry needs to find a better way of doing business. That's the stark message to emerge from supply chain executives who attended the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong this year.
A campaign encouraging shoppers to ask where and how their garments have been made has been set up to mark the first anniversary of the Rana Plaza disaster.
A weekly roundup of the latest research reports available on just-style.
just-style's summary of apparel and footwear news from the world’s local media.
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
A forthright take on the follies the world’s apparel buying community has to deal with, from Mike Flanagan, CEO of Clothesource – and his suggestions for putting them right.
Exclusive interviews with some of the apparel and footwear industry’s leading movers and shakers. Companies already featured include Marks & Spencer, H&M, Timberland, Adidas, New Look and Li & Fung.
With a focus on individual companies, new or emerging markets, and issues such as product safety – this column takes a behind the scenes look that sheds new light on stories hitting the headlines.
Facts and figures taken from some of the research reports published on just-style. Much of this information is only available in the reports themselves, so these articles provide a valuable snapshot of the latest data and forecasts.
If you’re short of time or haven’t managed to check in to all our daily newsletters, reading these articles will ensure you’re up-to-date on the top five most-read stories on just-style in any given week.
A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
- CAMBODIA: Garment workers' strike garners conflicting reports
- US: More progress needed for Bangladesh to regain GSP
- CHINA: Demand for brands to bear social responsibility over strike
- US: Avery Dennison RFID tracking reduces risk for apparel brands
- HONG KONG: Advisory Committee brainstorms on cashmere forum
- US: Body Central to review strategic alternatives
- US: Unifi Q3 profit soars on improved sales
- US: Higher costs hit Rocky Brands Q1 profit
- UK: SuperGroup appoints ex-Asda exec to head up e-commerce
- just-style's research roundup
- NORWAY: Hansen Protection deploys PLM system
- CHINA: Adidas shoe supplier factory strike enters second week
- BANGLADESH: BRAC USA to fund Rana Plaza worker training
- US: Perplexing lack of action to change import scheme
- BANGLADESH: Rana Plaza workers awarded BDT50,000 each
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Changes in China cotton policies cause uncertainty
- Responsive supply chain key to Gap's growth plans
- String traceability tool goes back to basics
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Vietnam Q1 textile and garment exports surge 21.9%
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Adidas supplier factory strike enters second week
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy